Lisbie salvages draw for U's against Norwich
A BUNDLED effort from Kevin Lisbie two minutes from time prevented Norwich City Reserves recording a good win against Colchester United's second string at Colney this afternoon.
KEVIN Lisbie dramatically denied Norwich City victory this afternoon when he bundled home a late equaliser for Colchester United in a reserve clash.
The U's put out an experienced second string, including four players who all started against Norwich in the 7-1 thrashing of the Canaries back on the opening day of the League One season.
With the likes of Lisbie, first team captain Magnus Okuonghae, Ashley Vincent and David Fox in their team, Colchester looked odds on to gain a small piece of revenge over their East Anglian rivals following their humiliating 5-0 home thrashing in January.
However, it was the hosts who entered half-time in front at their Colney training ground courtesy of Luke Daley's opener. The striker, returning to action after two and a half months out with a thigh injury, deftly headed home a curling centre from the impressive George Francomb after 21 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
City then missed a glorious opportunity to take a strangle hold on the game four minutes later when Damon Lathrope blazed over from three yards out with the goal gaping.
The U's dominated after the break, but keeper Jed Steer looked to have sealed three Totesport.com Combination points for the hosts with two top-class saves; the first a brilliant stop from Okuonghae's header and the second an equally impressive save to prevent former Norwich player Ian Henderson finding the net from 25 yards.
- 1 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 2 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
But with just two minutes remaining Sam Corcoran headed a U's corner into the City box and Lisbie - who has found first team action limited by injury and illness in recent weeks - was on hand to force the ball home.
There was still time for Henderson to pick up a booking for a studded lunge on Michael Spillane, with the City right-back seeing out the rest of the game after some treatment.
Norwich: Steer, Spillane, Askou, Stephens, Francomb, Adeyemi, Tudur Jones (Gordon 61), Lathrope, Dawkin, Kelly, Daley (Drmola 46).
Unused Sub: Oakley.
Colchester: Cousins, Knudsen, Okuonghae, Batth (Heath 46), Bender, Vincent, Fox, Corcoran, Elito (Malton 82), Henderson, Lisbie.
Unused Subs: Cussack, Sanderson, Hamilton.
Referee: S Long