MATCHDAY RECAP: U’s rue missed penalty in 1-0 final day league defeat at Exeter City
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Follow all the action and reaction as we bring you live coverage of Colchester United’s EFL League Two match against Exeter City at St James Park.
Colchester United’s disappointing 2017-18 season ended in defeat, at play-off bound Exeter City in warm sunshine in Devon on Saturday afternoon.
The U’s were made to pay for a penalty miss, Sammie Szmodics failing to convert his spot kick on the hour mark.
Substitute Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe won the penalty, by drawing the foul from Pierce Sweeney, but Szmodics aimed his spot kick straight down the middle, with keeper Christy Pym making a good save.
It was Szmodics’ second penalty miss on the bounce, following his failure to bury an effort in the 1-0 home defeat by Yeovil in March.
You may also want to watch:
Exeter responded by grabbing the winner in the 71st minute.
Robbie Simpson was in the right place at the far post to head home a precise cross by Sweeney.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 8 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
The U’s therefore ended the season with four defeats from their last five matches, and just one point gained from a possible 15.
• Re-live the action and get the best reaction from Carl Marston in the blog above.