Local football, rugby and basketball – where you can catch exciting Suffolk sport this weekend
- Credit: Archant
If Ipswich Town are still performing in a manner which does nothing to entice you to games, why not try out something different?
There are plenty of local grassroots sports clubs serving up excitement and entertainment each week around Suffolk.
Whether you have an interest in football, rugby or something else entirely, have a look at our list of suggestions below for cheap ways to take in local sport this weekend.
Football: Ipswich Wanderers v Stanway Rovers
It’s tough opposition for the hosts as Stanway are challenging towards the top of the table.
You may also want to watch:
Wanderers aren’t far behind though so it should be a good clash in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
However a good result could help the home side build up some momentum ahead of a tricky April fixture list – their first three games that month are all against teams currently in the top four.
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 5 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 6 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 7 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 8 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 9 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
- 10 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
Venue: SEH Sports Ground, Humber Doucy Lane, Ipswich, IP4 3NR. Tickets: Adult £6, Concession £4, under 12 free. Date: 3pm, March 11.
Rugby Union: Stowmarket v Southwold
This all Suffolk clash comes in the London 3 North East league, and on the back of defeats for both sides.
The hosts, in fifth, are only one place below their opponents on Saturday but with a six point difference and Ely hot on their heels.
The reverse fixture on November 19 saw the teams play out a 16-all draw – so expect a tight match.
Venue: Chilton Fields, Chilton Way, Stowmarket, IP14 1SZ. Tickets: Free. Date: 3pm, March 11.
Basketball: Ipswich v Newham Neptunes
It has been contrasting fortunes for these sides this season.
While Ipswich have been enjoying their time towards the top of the table, Newham are more familiar with its lower reaches.
You would fancy the hosts to win in this final regular league game of the season – and victory is likely to hand Ipswich a home tie in the play-off quarter finals.
Venue: Copleston Centre, Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP3 8LR. Tickets: Adult £3.50, under 18 £2, under 11 free. Date: 5pm, March 11.
Motorsport: Mildenhall Stadium
Stock car racing and the National Bangers return to Mildenhall for this season opening evening on Saturday.
The former sees the third round of the 1300cc competition’s Super Series event coming to the track.
Then it’s the first qualifying round of the National Bangers at West Row, sure to entertain and thrill in equal measure.
Venue: Mildenhall Stadium, Haylands Drove, West Row, Mildenhall, IP28 8QU. Tickets: Adult £15, concession £12, five to 14-year-old £6, family (two adults, three children) £36. Date: 6.30pm, March 11.