LONDON 2 NORTH: Holt 24 Chelmsford 34

Chelmsford sealed a bonus-point victory, with six tries, to record their fourth consecutive league win.

Tries were scored by Rhys Mason, Simon Hoult, Seth Robinson, Seb Hill, Paul Redford and Luke Venn, and whilst Simon Hoult converted just two of the tries, he played his part in the game, timing his runs from full back to perfection.

Chelmsford scored their opening try after seven minutes, centre Craig Woolridge bursting through the Holt defence before recycling the ball to Joby Fischer who fed fly-half Rhys Mason. He found a hole in the home side’s defence to score a well-worked try, duly converted by Hoult.

Five minutes later, Chelmsford scored their second try through a great individual effort from Hoult.

After taking the ball from just inside his own half, he ran through the entire home side’s defence to score an excellent try, leaving the score at 12-0.

Just before the half-hour mark, Chelmsford scored again. Hoult broke through, the ball was cleared, and the subsequent line out was won by Chelmsford.

The ball was fed to the backs and scrum-half Venn was on hand to give an inside pass to hooker Robinson, who went over for a try, again converted by Hoult.

Most Read

Holt put their first points on the board after 37 minutes when Bruce Van Poortvliet darted over for a try. However, two minutes later, Chelmsford scored their bonus point try when Rhys Mason took a quick-tap penalty ball and fed left wing Seb Hill who went over near the corner.

At 24-5, they should have scored a further try. Second row Chris Bown had two men outside of him and no cover defence from Holt, but instead went for glory, only to be tackled short of the line.

Chelmsford made some substitutions at half time, but this did not stop the visitors from losing any momentum. Indeed, just a couple of minutes into the second half, Hoult made another searing break.

Chelmsford were then penalised inside their 22 for being offside and were caught napping when Van Poortvliet dived over the line to score his second try, which was converted.

Chelmsford were rewarded with two further tries from skipper Redford and scrum half Venn, both of which were unconverted. This effectively sealed the game for Chelmsford.

Holt scored their third try after 25 minutes when Tom Jackson kicked to right wing Matt Jary-Ryan who was on hand to touch down.

Holt did take the gloss of the proceedings slightly when they scored a converted try just before the final whistle through Jackson.