London 2012: Harry Martin and Team GB reach hockey semi-final
Ipswich hockey ace Harry Martin tonight promised his Team GB side will roar out of the blocks against Holland on Thursday in a bid to secure an Olympic medal.
Great Britain put themselves and the Riverside Arena through hell in securing their passage to the semi-finals against Spain.
Needing just a draw to progress they were forced to face a string of hotly-contested penalty corners with the scores level at 1-1 and Spain themselves a goal away from a last-four berth.
But they hung on to get the vital result.
And Martin said: “We will be giving it everything we can to try and get a shot at the gold medal. “Playing a game like that against Spain was nervous at the time but I think it will help us against Netherlands.”
You may also want to watch:
Martin and Co will need to be up for a fight in tomorrow’s last four showdown with the Dutch having won all five of their group games in the capital.
A GB victory will guarantee them at least a silver or gold medal while defeat would leave them needing to play a bronze-medal match to secure some silverware.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 7 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 8 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 9 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 10 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
But a confident Martin said: “We will come out hard against the Dutch in the semi-finals and look for that win.
“Technically the Dutch are a very good side and they love running with the ball but we are not going to change too much about what we are going to do and how we play.”
- Lloyds TSB, proud supporter of Team GB and proud partner of the London 2012 Olympic Games. Get closer to the Games at lloydstsb.com/london2012