Louis re-assures Witches fans that there are no issues with his Aussie riders and visa problems. However, other clubs are sweating on some of their riders, as the start of the season draws close
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Witches director of speedway Chris Louis has re-assured Witches fans neither of the Suffolk side’s Australian riders have issues with visa applications.
Down Under, problems have arisen for some riders with Plymouth’s Alex Davies, Somerset’s Jason Doyle and Rye House’s Tyson Nelson having trouble getting a visa to race in England this year.
Indeed Rye House have already made a change to their starting line-up, with French star Mat Tresarrieu replacing Nelson, although neither Plymouth nor Somerset have made any changes to their 2014 line-up as yet.
“There are no problems with Cameron (Heeps) or Rohan (Tungate) as regards visas,” said Louis.
“In fact Cam doesn’t actually require a visa as he has English relatives. That’s why he was able to ride for Mildenhall in the National League when he did.
“As for Rohan, he’s flying back into England next week to extend his visa as he is entitled to, so again there is no problem with him.”
It’s a shame for British speedway that Australian riders are falling foul of visa permits as, over the years, they have proved to be the most loyal of nationalities to the sport in this country.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
Sam Masters, who is back in England this year, missed out in 2013 and for Nelson, this is the second time in three seasons he has had a visa refused.
“I don’t think anything has been decided completely on any rider as yet,” Louis added.
“I can only think Len Silver at Rye House didn’t want to suddenly be left with a space in his side, so decided to bring in Mat Tresarrieu in place of Tyson (Nelson).”