Louis wants promotion as Witches 2017 team set to be announced next week
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
The Witches want promotion.
That was the message from Ipswich Witches director of speedway Chris Louis, as he gets ready to name his 2017 team next week.
Louis has been working hard, alongside team boss Ritchie Hawkins, to put together a side he feels can not only have a good season, but can grab the opportunity of promotion to the Premiership in 2018.
Relegation and promotion in speedway is being re-introduced between the two leagues – Premiership and Championship – in 2017, and the Championship-based Witches boss would like nothing more than to get his side promoted.
“As soon as it was agreed there would be promotion and relegation next season, it was promotion I wanted for us,” Louis said.
“I’ve always said I would love to take the Witches back into the highest league – and we have a chance to do that now. It would be something special.”
Louis is all set to name the Witches of 2017 next week – although he admits he has a few i’s to dot and t’s to cross.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 5 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
- 10 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
But he is very happy with the septet he has come up with.
“We were almost six points over the limit by the end of the season, so getting down from nearly 46 points to 40 hasn’t been easy,” Louis said.
“But it’s the same for everyone and I like to think the fans will say we have put a good team together.
“We have backing from Tru7.com again, Guy Nicholls and his team are just fantastic to have on board for all they bring to the club.”
Obviously Louis is giving nothing away as regards his 2017 team line-up. But all we do know is that neither Morten Risager nor Ben Barker will be back in Witches colours come March.
Trying to guess the other five is pretty pointless, although it will be a major surprise if British Champion and No.1 Witch Danny King doesn’t return to Foxhall.
He has been the Witches star man for two seasons now and with Hawkins – a good friend of King’s – back as team boss, it would be a huge surprise should King not return.
“Everyone will know the full team soon,” Louis said.
“I understand fans want to know, but we won’t name it until everything is in order and that will be next week. I’m sure everyone understands our situation.”