Lowest-ever Colchester United home crowd witnesses defeat to Southampton under-23s
Colchester United 1 Southampton Under-23s 2
The lowest-ever crowd for a Colchester United home match saw the U’s bow out of the much-maligned Checkatrade Trophy, following a defeat to Southampton Under-23s tonight.
This evening’s official attendance of 791 eclipsed the previous club record for the smallest gate, which had stood at 912 from the Layer Road game against Peterborough in October, 1987.
A second successive defeat in this group stage of the competition, following a 1-0 reverse at Crawley Town last month, ensured that John McGreal’s men cannot make progress into the knock-out stage, even though they have one more group match to play, at home to Charlton.
The Saints Under-23s had drawn 0-0 at The Valley, with Charlton winning a penalty shoot-out to gain a bonus point, but they won outright against the League One U’s.
You may also want to watch:
Defender Sam McQueen broke the deadlock with a close-range header, from an eighth minute corner.
Dion Sembie-Ferris smashed home the first goal of his senior career to equalise, in the 23rd minute, following good work by Sammie Szmodics, although the winger later picked up an injury which forced him to be substituted at half-time.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 5 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 6 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 7 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 8 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 9 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 10 600 protesters form 'human wall' to oppose Sizewell C sea defences
The young visitors dominated the second period, after taking the lead in the 50th minute through Olufela Olomole’s slick finish into the roof of the net.
And they held on to record a narrow victory.
COLCHESTER UNITED: Bransgrove, Vincent-Young, Prosser, Wynter, Kinsella, Slater, Wright (sub James, 72), Kamara, Szmodics, Sembie-Ferris (sub Issa, 46), Johnstone (sub Porter, 64). Unused subs: Barnes, Akinwande, Eastman, Regis.
SOUTHAMPTON U-23s: Lewis, Valery, Cook, Jones, McQueen, Reed, O’Connor, Sims, Hesketh, Johnson, Olomola. Unused subs: Slattery, Parkes, Bakary, Vokins, Mdalose, O’Driscoll, Afolabi.
Referee: S Martin (Staffs)