Driver wants Leiston to be in top gear for whole 90 minutes, not just 45, against Redditch
- Credit: Archant
Leiston boss, Glenn Driver, wants his side to start performing over the full 90 minutes, rather than just one half of football, starting at home to lowly Redditch Town this afternoon (3pm).
The Blues began this season with a bang, by recording back-to-back victories in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Central, but Driver’s men have been winless in their last three outings.
Impressive first-week wins over Coalville Town (2-0) and at Royston (5-2) were followed by a 1-0 reverse at Banbury, and 2-2 draws over the Bank Holiday weekend against Tamworth and away at Needham Market.
Still well-placed in fifth spot, at this early stage, Leiston will fancy their chances of heaping more misery on a Redditch side who have lost four of their first five fixtures to sit second-from-bottom.
But Driver is looking for an improvement in his side’s displays, especially defensively.
You may also want to watch:
“Overall, it’s not been a bad start for us, with eight points from a possible 15,” explained Driver.
“Some would say that it could have been 10 points. We could have had a couple more, not at Needham Market but against Tamworth last Saturday, when we were 2-0 up.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Matchday Live: Town two up on basement boys
- 5 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 6 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
“Yes, we knew their gaffer was under pressure and that they would chuck the kitchen sink at us, but their two goals were down to our mistakes.
“Our defending was not good enough in that game, just like at Needham. If you don’t defend well enough as a team at this level then you get punished.
“We’ve got the strike-power, and my back four did well at Needham, but we’ve been lazy in midfield and we will address that.
“I’m happy with the start, although squad-wise, I do think we are one short, to be brutally honest. But if we are defending the way we are, then we don’t deserve to bring anyone new in!
“Against Redditch we will play in a positive, attacking system, but we’ve got to perform over the whole 90 minutes.
“We’ve had a shocking 90 minutes and a good 90 minutes from the last 180, over the course of our last two matches. We just need to go a little run now, after not winning in three matches.
“I don’t know much about Redditch, because we don’t have the scouts in place. That’s something to need to address at the club,” added Driver