Luke Callander nets winner for Heybridge Swifts at Cheshunt
- Credit: Archant
Cheshunt 0 Heybridge Swifts 1
Super sub Luke Callander volleyed home the only goal of the game as Heybridge Swifts gave impetus to their play-off push at lowly Cheshunt tonight.
Despite a backlog of fixtures, and playing four games in eight-day spells, the Swifts remain in the hunt for a top-six finish.
Jody Brown’s men are just two points behind sixth-placed Maldon & Tiptree, with three games in hand.
On as a 68th minute substitute, Callander’s volley from a corner was squeezed past home keeper Harry Girling, who should really have kept it out, with 20 minutes remaining.
Heybridge dominated much of the first half and created all the best chances, but with rarely threatening keeper Girling.
Harrison Chatting lifted a 20-yard free-kick over the bar, on seven minutes, while a dangerous cross delivered from the left by Sam Asford was cut out by defender Jack Lampe before Matthew Price could pounce.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 4 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 8 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 9 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 10 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
Price nearly powered through on goal in the 20th minute. He managed to nip in front of hesitant centre-half Ricky Sappleton, Cheshunt’s skipper, but could not direct the ball beyond keeper Girling.
Price was in the action again in the 24th minute, heading firmly wide from right-back Guillem Ramon’s cross, before Jack Cawley struck a free-kick into the defensive wall on 28 minutes from a promising position.
Try as they might, the Swifts could not break the deadlock before the break, another attack ending with Ashford crashing a long-range shot over the top on 43 minutes.
Early in the second half, an inswinging corner by Ashford saw ex-Colchester United left-back Matt Briggs head clear from near the goal-line. Ashford also tested Girling with a fierce low drive that the Ambers keeper saved on his goal-line.
At the other end, Swifts keeper Jake Jessup pulled off a wonder save to thwart substitute Alec Fiddes, blocking a header from point blank range on 55 minutes.
And a mistake by Fiddes’ opposite number, Girling, enabled Callander to head home the opener on 70 minutes.
Jessup pushed away an angled drive by Lampe, in front of his near post, as the Swifts held on for an away win.
HEYBRIDGE: Jessup, Ramon, Cawley, Griffiths (sub Godbold, 75), Henshaw, Baker, Chatting (sub Gardner, 80), Abdulla, Price, Krasniqi (sub Callander, 68), Ashford.