Ipswich Town make ‘final approach’ for Garbutt in battle with Sunderland - report
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have a made a ‘final approach’ for in-demand Luke Garbutt - with the ex-Everton man weighing up his offers and expected to make a decision on his future before next weekend, according to reports.
The Northern Echo claim that the Blues are ‘hopeful’ their offer will get Garbutt, who scored six goals in 30 games for Town while on loan from the Toffees last season, back to Portman Road.
But Sunderland, who are competing with Town for the signatures of Garbutt, keeper Remi Matthews and striker Danny Graham, believe they have the edge.
Should Garbutt snub Town for a move to the Stadium of Light, it’s understood that geography will also be a key factor.
The left-sided player lived in Liverpool for over a decade during his time at Everton and grew up close to Leeds, where he began his football journey, meaning staying in the North of England is likely to be appealing.
Speaking in June, Garbutt said: “I will never close the door on the possibility of coming back to Ipswich on a permanent basis and it’s something I will definitely consider.
“But as a football player you want to try and play at the highest level you can do. I can’t really comment because I don’t know if there’s an offer on the table from Ipswich or any club for that matter. I can’t say anything.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m a free agent so I’ll let my agent do the negotiations and the business side of it before I make a decision with my family about where I move next and the best football club for me.”
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 7 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him