Are Ipswich Town right to release Luke Hyam?
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Homegrown midfielder Luke Hyam has revealed that he’s leaving Ipswich Town.
The combative academy product, 26, took to Instagram to share the news.
He wrote: “My time at Ipswich Town has come to an end. After 15 years, I want to say a massive thanks to all the players and staff, past and present who have been part of my journey.
“I’ve been very fortunate and privileged to play for the team I supported as a child and to achieve all my goals I set out over the years.
“I’m looking forward to the next chapter in my career. I wish all the boys the very best for the following season.”
You may also want to watch:
Hyam, a former pupil at Northgate High School in Ipswich, was out of contract in the summer and it seems the Blues have decided not to take up their option of keeping him on for another year.
While popular with many fans due to his all-action, industrious style of play, he has struggled with injuries in recent seasons and was sent on loan to Rotherham back in the 2015/16 campaign.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
All told, he made 118 starts and 28 substitute appearances for his beloved Blues, scoring three goals.
But what do you think? Have Town made the right decision by releasing him, or is Hyam exactly the sort of homegrown player that the Blues should be keeping and building around?