Norris bags brace but U’s pegged back to draw by two late goals at Oldham
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Oldham Athletic 3 Colchester United 3
Luke Norris scored twice, but Colchester United were pegged back to a thrilling draw by two late Oldham goals at Boundary Park this afternoon.
Norris broke the deadlock with his fifth goal in all competitions this season, in the 16th minute.
It was another deadly U’s corner routine – the Essex club have scored more goals from set pieces than any other team in the fourth tier – diverting home after Brennan Dickenson’s corner had been flicked on by skipper Luke Prosser.
Dillon Barnes made a couple of smart saves around the 20-minute mark to keep the Latics at bay, while leading scorer Sam Surridge and also substitute Gevaro Nepomuceno missed good opportunities early in the second period.
You may also want to watch:
And it was the U’s who responded by doubling their lead in the 51st minute, thanks to a wonderful volley by midfielder Harry Pell.
Surridge halved the deficit just before the hour mark, diverting home a pinpoint cross by Andy Taylor from close-in.
- 1 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 8 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 9 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house
- 10 'It's time to embrace a new challenge' - New Ipswich chief announces Bristol City exit
But Norris restored the U’s two-goal advantage in the 67th minute, with another clinical finish.
Set up by the excellent Pell, Norris chested down the ball before the finding the back of the net with a venomous strike.
However, Oldham came storming back, scoring twice in a three-minute spell to draw level.
Gardner’s free-kick was headed past by Barnes by livewire Surridge in the 85th minute.
And Oldham were celebrating an equaliser in the 88th minute, Peter Clarke finding the net with a thumping header from Dan Gardner’s corner.
However, the U’s are still unbeaten on their travels, and are in fourth spot.
COLCHESTER: Barnes, Jackson, Kent, Prosser, Vincent-Young, Pell, Comley, Szmodics, Dickenson (sub Eastman, 87), Norris (sub Mandron, 79) , Nouble. Unused subs: Ross, Wright, Collins, Senior, Gondoh.