Luke Varney re-signs for Ipswich Town as David McGoldrick faces another lengthy spell out injured
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town have re-signed forward Luke Varney on a short-term contract until January, with David McGoldrick facing several weeks on the sidelines with an ankle injury.
McGoldrick injured his ankle soon after coming on as a half-time substitute in Tuesday night’s 1-0 home defeat to Stevenage in the EFL Cup but played on for the entire second period.
“It’s devastating news for Didz and it’s a real freak injury as well,” said manager Mick McCarthy.
“He went on at half-time and with almost his first touch, he jumped for the ball and landed awkwardly. He thought he has rocked his ankle and ran it off. It turns out he has damaged the ligament in his ankle and we are looking at six-to-eight weeks on the sidelines.
“He will see the surgeon on Monday and hopefully he won’t need an operation. If he does, it could be 12 weeks out.”
Having been the club’s 16-goal talisman in 2013/14, McGoldrick has endured injury after injury since – to both knees, hamstring, groin, thigh and hips – which he described as ‘bad luck’ in a recent interview.
You may also want to watch:
Varney, a well-travelled 33-year-old, initially joined the Blues on loan from Blackburn in 2015 and became a popular figure on and off he field.
He injured his Achilles in the play-off semi-final first leg against Norwich and was sidelined for six months, but was handed a short-term contract after his recovery and made four starts and 16 substitute appearances in the second half of the season.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 5 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 6 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 9 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 10 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
The former Blackburn and Leeds man was released in the summer, but manager Mick McCarthy has re-called him due to the fact that McGoldrick has joined Brett Pitman (thigh) on the sidelines.
Varney – who will wear squad number 12 – will be on the bench at Brentford tomorrow.
The EADT and Ipswich Star understands the Blues boss is still working on another deal before the transfer window shuts at the end of this month.