Luke Varney will be released, but Kevin Foley may get new Ipswich Town deal
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy says striker Luke Varney will be released at the end of the season, but that Kevin Foley may get a new deal.
Both players signed short-term deals this term – Varney in December after recovering from a long-term Achilles injury he sustained during a successful loan spell at the back end of last season and Foley in February after impressing on trial.
Ex-Blackburn man Varney is 33 years old, while Foley – who was let go by Danish side FC Copenhagen last summer – is 31.
“I have spoken to Reg (Varney) today and told him we won’t be offering him anything,” said McCarthy, who has already confirmed that Jay Tabb will be released this summer and that defenders Piotr Malarczyk and Josh Yorwerth, as well as forgotten winger Cameron Stewart, are all available for transfer.
“He’s a top professional and a top person and I’d like to think we have both been good for each other. We looked after him when he snapped his Achilles and he has repaid us with his professionalism and what he has done on the pitch for us.
“We have four strikers though, Murph (Daryl Murphy), Didz (David McGoldrick), Freddie (Sears) and Brett Pitman and they have been in front of him because of injury and one reason and another.
You may also want to watch:
“With Foles, it’s an on-going discussion. He is versatile and would give us options but fundamentally he is a right-back. We have Josh (Emmanuel) coming through in that position and when we kick-off next season, the best right-back we have here will play.
“Foles will have other options as well. Most importantly, he will want to play regularly. He will sit down with his family and decide what’s best for him.”
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening