Macca’s winner encourages Morrison to reminisce
- Credit: Archant
Macauley Bonne celebrated his first ever goal, in only his second senior outing, in the U’s 1-0 win over Peterborough last Saturday.
That prompted fellow striker Clinton Morrison to recall his own first goal, a long 15 years ago.
Bonne replaced Morrison just after the hour mark against Posh, and the 18-year-old responded by heading home the winner on 70 mintues.
A tired but happy Morrison recalled his own first goal, with a wry smile, following Bonne’s big moment.
“I remember my first goal. My first goal was a bit different – mine was in the Premiership, against Sheffield Wednesday!” continued Morrison. “I just wanted to get that in!
“But Macca has done well. He’s a goalscorer, and he’s been banging them in for the youth team.” Like Bonne, Morrison scored his first senior goal as a late substitute, for Crystal Palace against Sheffield Wednesday.
And like Bonne, his goal ended up being the winner, an injury-time effort on May 10, 1998. Meanwhile, the U’s previous run of 11 games without a win did not weigh heavy on Morrison. He confirmed: “The press kept reminding us of that bad run, which is their job.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 6 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 7 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 8 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
“That run may have been in some of the lads’ minds, but it didn’t weigh on mine because I’ve been there, seen that and done it.”
The U’s next match is at Rotherham on Saturday.