Macca’s winner encourages Morrison to reminisce
- Credit: Archant
Macauley Bonne celebrated his first ever goal, in only his second senior outing, in the U’s 1-0 win over Peterborough last Saturday.
That prompted fellow striker Clinton Morrison to recall his own first goal, a long 15 years ago.
Bonne replaced Morrison just after the hour mark against Posh, and the 18-year-old responded by heading home the winner on 70 mintues.
A tired but happy Morrison recalled his own first goal, with a wry smile, following Bonne’s big moment.
“I remember my first goal. My first goal was a bit different – mine was in the Premiership, against Sheffield Wednesday!” continued Morrison. “I just wanted to get that in!
You may also want to watch:
“But Macca has done well. He’s a goalscorer, and he’s been banging them in for the youth team.” Like Bonne, Morrison scored his first senior goal as a late substitute, for Crystal Palace against Sheffield Wednesday.
And like Bonne, his goal ended up being the winner, an injury-time effort on May 10, 1998. Meanwhile, the U’s previous run of 11 games without a win did not weigh heavy on Morrison. He confirmed: “The press kept reminding us of that bad run, which is their job.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
“That run may have been in some of the lads’ minds, but it didn’t weigh on mine because I’ve been there, seen that and done it.”
The U’s next match is at Rotherham on Saturday.