Maldon & Tiptree’s title hopes are dealt a blow, while Heybridge Swifts concede two injury-time goals

Sam Newson, who had a goal ruled out for offside during Maldon & Tiptree's home defeat to Brentwood

Sam Newson, who had a goal ruled out for offside during Maldon & Tiptree's home defeat to Brentwood yesterday

Maldon & Tiptree’s hopes of winning the Ryman North title were dealt a massive blow by yesterday’s 1-0 home defeat to Brentwood Town.

While rivals Brightlingsea Regent were recording a 1-0 win over Bury Town, the Jammers slithered to defeat at Park Drive, to leave themselves trailing the R’s by nine points with just six matches remaining.

Kevin Horlock’s men certainly had their chances, and Sam Newson had an early headed effort ruled out for offside, while Tarryn Allarakhia was a dangerous outlet for the hosts throughout.

However, Brentwood eased their relegation worries by bagging the only goal of the game in the 34th minute. Reynolds’ shot took a wicked deflection on its way past keeper Dan Wilks.

Allarakhia burst through late on, only to be denied by a good save, and Kieran Bailey was denied by a goal-line clearance at the death. The Jammers remain in second spot, and at least look certain of a play-off spot, while Brentwood have lifted themselves four points clear of the drop zone.

Also in Ryman North, Heybridge Swifts are level on points with Brentwood, but they should have been two points better off after conceding two injury-time goals in a thrilling 3-3 draw away at Romford.

The Swifts recovered from conceding an early goal after just three minutes, through David Falloh, to be 3-1 up by half-time.

Most Read

Reece Grant netted a quickfire equaliser in the eighth minute, before Lewis Godbold headed them into a 36th minute lead. Ade Yussuf made it 3-1 in the 44th minute.

Jody Brown’s side looked to be coasting to a valuable away win, until Ryan Mallett pulled a goal back in the 92nd minute, and then James Ishmail grabbed a dramatic 95th minute equaliser – only four minutes of added-on time had been signalled.

Swifts boss Brown rued: “I’m unhappy not to see the game out. The added time was questionable too, but it was in our hands.

“It’s one point on the road, but it feels like a loss.”

Meanwhile, Chelmsford City remain well-placed for a National League South play-off place after drawing 1-1 at Wealdstone.

Louie Theophanous broke the deadlock after just three minutes. Joe White converted a 68th minute penalty for the Stones.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter