Man of the Match - Georges Santos
ON a day when every Town player made a vital contribution, centre-halfSantos gets the nod, and not just for his goal. The Frenchman was delighted to prod home his first goal in a Town shirt, to put the visitors two-up and in command during a marvellous first half.
ON a day when every Town player made a vital contribution, centre-half
Santos gets the nod, and not just for his goal. The Frenchman was delighted to prod home his first goal in a Town shirt, to put the visitors two-up and in command during a marvellous first half.
During the second half, however, 33-year-old Santos was back doing what he does best – frustrating the opposition with commanding headers and timely interceptions. It would have been easy to cave in under the pressure, but he and fellow centre-half Richard Naylor provided good protection for Kelvin Davis.
There were several other candidates for the man-of-the-match award. Chris Bart-Williams was a very close second, while the bustling Ian Westlake was always in the action.
Santos, though, especially as he was a big doubt during the build-up to the match with a foot injury, was second to none on an encouraging afternoon for Joe Royle's men.
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 5 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 6 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
- 7 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 8 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 9 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 10 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds