‘I’m really proud of the boys’ – John McGreal after U’s draw at Mansfield
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, praised his players for a full-committed performance at high-flying Mansfield Town this afternoon, the match ending in an entertaining 1-1 draw.
Brandon Comley celebrated the first goal of his career to rescue a point for the U’s, at Field Mill.
Kane Hemmings had put the Stags 1-0 up in the 22nd minute, but Comley equalised early in the second period.
Normally, this would be considered a good point on the road, against tough opposition, although the U’s really needed all three points to get their play-off bid back on track.
However, McGreal was in good spirits after the match.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m really proud of our boys,” enthused McGreal.
“Some of our football was terrific, although sometimes we made mistakes, which is to be expected. We are going to make them at times, but you can’t take anything away from the boys.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“It was a good spectacle for League Two, and it was a good game for the neutral.
“Their goal was a soft one to concede, especially as we had two glorious chances before that goal, such as when Drey Wright was through before hacking wide.
“I thought we made a statement today, against a top team, and have come away with a good point.
“We are not here to beat about the bush. We want to win games, and I made several changes for this game, the players coming in doing really well.
“Brandon Comley’s goal was terrific.
“He’s a tidy player, has a lot of quality, and he did well to skip past a player and put it in the far corner,” added McGreal.