Mansfield Town v Colchester United, nostalgia: Greene on target, back in 1997
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United writer Carl Marston recalls a 1-1 draw at Mansfield Town from more than 20 years ago.
David Greene, who was always apt to score a goal from his centre-half role, usually via a corner routine, did just that when Steve Wignall’s Colchester United secured a 1-1 draw at Mansfield on October 4, 1997.
The Stags were ahead after just six minutes of this Nationwide League Division Three clash at Field Mill, with Steve Whitehall on target.
Front-runner Whitehall swept home his fourth goal of the season, under the body of keeper Carl Emberson – the U’s custodian was disappointed to let that shot roll beneath him and into the net.
Greene popped up with the equaliser, just six minutes later, volleying home a 12th minute corner from Scott Stamps.
You may also want to watch:
Defender Greene crashed home the loose ball from only a couple of yards out, after keeper Bowling had only managed to get fingertips to Stamps’ cross.
Like Whitehall, it was Greene’s fourth goal of the season, an impressive tally for a centre-half after just two months of the season.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 5 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 6 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 7 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 8 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 9 Suffolk braced for Indian summer before forecast showers next week
- 10 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
The visitors had several chances to bag a winner, most of them falling to ex-Mansfield target man Mark Sale, although the U’s No. 9 failed to score against his former club.
And the U’s were indebted to Emberson on 22 minutes, when the keeper performed heroics to save Whitehall’s penalty kick, after Greene had felled striker Christie in the box.
U’s team: Emberson, Gregory, Stamps, Skelton, Greene, Cawley, Wilkins (sub Whitton, 46), Buckle, Sale, Rankin, Abrahams. Subs: Adcock, Lock