Marcus Bean makes a return as Colchester United lose at Bishop’s Stortford
- Credit: Richard Blaxall
Bishop’s Stortford 2 Colchester United 0
Marcus Bean enjoyed his first run-out of pre-season as Colchester United lost 2-0 at Bishop’s Stortford this evening.
Midfielder Bean, who has struggled with a knee injury for much of the summer, played for just over an hour at the Prokit UK Stadium.
The U’s, featuring largely a young side, were undone by two goals at the start of the second half, with Sellears and Church on target for the hosts.
This was the U’s last major friendly before the new season starts with a home game against Oldham Athletic on Saturday week.
You may also want to watch:
There was a setback for the U’s after 14 minutes, when right-back Tosin Olufemi hobbled off with an ankle injury, to be replaced by Marley Andrews.
U’s boss Joe Dunne has very little cover at right-back, with Olufemi seen as the main contender to probable starter Sean Clohessy in that role.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 4 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 5 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 6 Husband pays tribute to 'soulmate' and mum-of-four after cancer death
- 7 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 8 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 9 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 10 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
The versatile David Wright can operate at right-back, his regular position for most of his career until recent seasons, although he has a sore Achilles at present.
There were very few chances early on, although Sanchez Watt, fighting fit again after a knee problem a couple of weeks ago, did beat his marker before firing in a shot that was saved by keeper Larkins.
After the half-hour mark and Bean came close to breaking the deadlock with a header that looped over the bar, while centre-half Frankie Kent also saw his long-range lob fly over the top.
Although the U’s had ended the first half on top, they fell behind inside a minute of the restart, via a deflected shot from Sellears.
And Bishop’s Stortford quickly doubled their lead, with first goalscorer Sellears setting up team-mate Church to tuck home.
Bean was within a whisker of halving the deficit, but his shot struck the inside of the post. His follow-up volley flew over the bar.
Larkins then obliged with good saves from Macauley Bonnne and Drey Wright, before the visitors hit the post for the second time in the match through substitute Jack Curtis.
COLCHESTER: Lewington, Olufemi (sub Andrews, 14), Kent, Lokko (sub Roast, 61), O’Donoghue, Gilbey (sub Nwachuku, 66), Bean (sub Curtis, 61), Vose (sub Lapslie, 46), Szmodics, Watt, Bonne.