Marcus Evans vows to back ‘miraculous’ Mick McCarthy by matching market conditions
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town owner Marcus Evans has vowed to back ‘miraculous’ manager Mick McCarthy this summer.
The Blues host Nottingham Forest in their last regular home game of the campaign tomorrow knowing a victory could seal the club its first play-off place in a decade.
Evans has taken the chance to pen some programme notes for the occasion, saying: “It’s worth reminding ourselves of just how far we have moved forward over the last two years. The fact that we are within sight of the finishing line to reach the play-offs is nothing short of miraculous and a testament to the ability of Mick and Terry (Connor).
“My main priorities over this summer, and in future years, is to support Mick by ensuring we keep our best players through being able to offer competitive terms, as well as the players being aware that they are part of a team with the realistic potential to move onwards and upwards in whatever league we find ourselves.
“In addition, I will continue to ensure funds are available to offer similarly competitive terms for new players we bring into the club.
“If we add to this a vibrant academy with players progressing into the first-team, we will have, I believe, a recipe for greater success.
“Transfer fees, when needed, will be paid, however activity in the transfer market in the Championship generally, not just from us, has been lower over the past few seasons with the introduction of Financial Fair Play.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 9 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
“We will continue to be highly competitive in terms of wages and will strive to match up to market conditions.”
– The Ipswich Town matchday programme will be on sale outside Portman Road tomorrow. See today’s EADT and Ipswich Star for part two of an exclusive interview with Mick McCarthy in which he reflects on the moment he almost changed his mind about taking the job.