Mark Cavendish set to support team-mate Wiggins’ Tour bid
OLYMPIC gold medal hopeful Mark Cavendish is happy to play second fiddle to team-mate Bradley Wiggins at this year’s Tour de France.
Team Sky are to build a team aro9und Wiggins, who is seeking to become the first Briton to win the maillot jaune, with Cavendish, who has won 20 stages on the previous four tours, set to prioritise the Olympic Games road race over the defence of his points classification green jersey.
“It’s a dream to ride for a team that holds so much British interest and has a chance to win the yellow jersey,” said Cavendish.
“I know the push for the GC (general classification) podium will make it more difficult for me to repeat the success I’ve enjoyed the last few years.
“But I’ll compete and - as always - I’ll dedicate myself to making it a successful Tour for Team Sky and, let’s hope, for Britain.”
Wiggins, is set to ride in his sixth tour and finished fourth in 2009 said: “I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time and I’ll do everything I can to win the Tour de France.”
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 5 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 6 From Celina to Mariner - the best goals ever scored at Portman Road
- 7 Paramedics called after tree falls on car in east Suffolk
- 8 Triple murder accused appears in court
- 9 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 10 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi