Marvin Sordell and Darren Ambrose among those players to be released by Colchester United
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United have released a number of high-profile players, including striker Marvin Sordell and fellow front-runner Darren Ambrose.
Ex-Ipswich Town, Newcastle United and Charlton 32-year-old Ambrose was only a bit-part player during his one season with the U’s, while Sordell, recruited from Burnley last summer, hardly featured at all following the turn of the year, after sustaining an ankle injury.
Keeper Elliott Parish, who was first choice during the last few months of the campaign, and full-back Tosin Olufemi have also been released following today’s disclosure of the U’s retained list.
The other players to be released are the young trio of Tyler Brampton, Marley Andrews and Kieran Bailey.
Midfielder Joe Edwards has the option of another year, while the players to be offered new contracts include Drey Wright, Tom Eastman, Femi Akinwande, Alex Gilbey and Jamie Harney.
You may also want to watch:
Young keeper Dillon Barnes and Academy product Jack Curtis and have also been offered new contracts.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 4 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site