Marvin Sordell secures vital win over Valiants
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United 2 Port Vale 1
Marvin Sordell bagged his third goal in nine appearances for Colchester United, to guide the U’s back onto the winning trail tonight.
After George Elokobi had broken the deadlock in the 25th minute, only for Colin Daniel to equalise on the stroke of half-time, experienced front-man Sordell obliged with a 73rd minute winner.
The U’s had lost their last three games, having won their previous four, so this was a welcome return to form.
Vale left-back Carl Dickinson almost put through his own net, seconds before Elokobi’s opener, diverting a cross just inches over the bar.
You may also want to watch:
So close to conceding an own goal, the visitors failed to deal with the ensuing corner, and when Darren Ambrose crossed back into the danger-zone, Elokobi kept his cool to take a touch and then smash home from eight yards out.
But the U’s could not hold onto their lead until half-time, conceding a 45th minute equaliser via Colin Daniel’s commanding header from substitute Ryan Lloyd’s precise cross.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
After a non-descript third quarter of the game, the U’s conjured up a 73rd minute winner, courtesy of Sordell’s third goal in a Colchester shirt.
George Moncur’s surging run into the box was halted by a couple of defenders, leading to initial claims for a penalty, but Sordell was the quickest to react as he buried the loose ball.
COLCHESTER: Jones, Olufemi, Eastman, Elokobi, Briggs, Garvan (sub Edwards, 49), Gilbey, Moncur, Ambrose (sub Sembie-Ferris, 83), Sordell, Harriott. Unused subs: Parish, Szmodics, Bonne, Lapslie, James.
PORT VALE: Alnwick, Purkiss, Streete, McGivern, Dickinson, Birchall (sub Dodds, 32), Grant, Foley, Andoh (sub Lloyd, 14), Daniel (sub Leitch-Smith, 81), Ikpeazu. Unused subs: Johnson, O’Connor, Yates, Kelly.
Referee: Darren Deadman (Cambs)
Attendance: 2,785 (155 away fans)