Massive blow for Panthers as Blackbird suffers broken ankle riding in Denmark. Peterborough up against it for trip to Scunthorpe
Peterborough have seen their injury crisis worsen after Lewis Blackbird suffered serious leg injuries in a Danish Super League on Wednesday night.
Blackbird sustained a spiral fracture of the fibula and a broken ankle when racing for Grindsted against Holsted.
Blackbird, who has also starred at Elite League level with Eastbourne during 2014, faces an operation tomorrow and is likely to miss the rest of the season.
Peterborough team boss Carl Johnson said: “I’ve been in contact with Lewis and he is absolutely gutted as the crash was not his fault.
“He is going to have an operation tomorrow and I’m sure everyone connected with Peterborough and Eastbourne will join me in wishing him a speedy recovery.
You may also want to watch:
“Lewis has been terrific for both clubs this season and will be sorely missed while out injured.”
Blackbird’s injury means the ‘TC Harrison’ Panthers will be without four of their regular riders for a Premier League trip to Scunthorpe on Friday (August 8).
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
Ryan Fisher is another long-term injury victim and new number one Lasse Bjerre is also hurt. Skipper Ulrich Ostergaard rides in the Danish Final second leg.
Ipswich’s Gino Manzares is one guest riding for the Panthers.