‘Massive effort’ needed if Braintree Town are to progress from their National League play-off with Grimsby Town
Defender Mark Phillips knows it’s going to take another ‘massive’ effort if Braintree Town are to get the better of Grimsby and make it to Wembley.
The Iron travel to Cleethorpes to take on the Mariners in the first leg of their National League play-off semi tonight, having finished third in the regular season table.
Braintree won 1-0 at Blundell Park earlier in the season and held Grimsby to a draw on their visit to Essex, but former Southend and Millwall defender Phillips knows it’s going to take another huge effort if the part-timers are to progress.
“When I was at Southend the only thing I knew about Braintree is because I knew I didn’t want to be playing against them in pre-season in friendlies,” he said.
“Now I’m here I love it and as a team we just want to shout the roof down and let everyone know what we’re all about.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve been in play-offs before and they’re one-off games and it’s all about how you start.
“Grimsby are a great team and yes we did beat them earlier in the season but it was probably also one of our best performances.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
“We know it needs another massive effort like that but we’re up for it.”
Thursday’s game kicks off at 7pm, with the second leg at Cressing Road on Sunday afternoon.