‘Massive effort’ needed if Braintree Town are to progress from their National League play-off with Grimsby Town
Defender Mark Phillips knows it’s going to take another ‘massive’ effort if Braintree Town are to get the better of Grimsby and make it to Wembley.
The Iron travel to Cleethorpes to take on the Mariners in the first leg of their National League play-off semi tonight, having finished third in the regular season table.
Braintree won 1-0 at Blundell Park earlier in the season and held Grimsby to a draw on their visit to Essex, but former Southend and Millwall defender Phillips knows it’s going to take another huge effort if the part-timers are to progress.
“When I was at Southend the only thing I knew about Braintree is because I knew I didn’t want to be playing against them in pre-season in friendlies,” he said.
“Now I’m here I love it and as a team we just want to shout the roof down and let everyone know what we’re all about.
“I’ve been in play-offs before and they’re one-off games and it’s all about how you start.
“Grimsby are a great team and yes we did beat them earlier in the season but it was probably also one of our best performances.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 4 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 5 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 6 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 7 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 8 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 9 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 10 Matchday Live: Town in front early at Portman Road
“We know it needs another massive effort like that but we’re up for it.”
Thursday’s game kicks off at 7pm, with the second leg at Cressing Road on Sunday afternoon.