Match report: Burton Albion 1 Ipswich Town 2 – Super sub Celina scores late free-kick in Blues comeback win
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Bersant Celina stepped off the bench late on and duly scored a sublime free-kick to secure Ipswich Town a vital Championship comeback win at struggling Burton Albion.
Town – who came into this game having lost six of their previous eight league games – rode their luck in the first half, had Bartosz Bialkowski to thank for a couple of smart stops and then went behind to Ben Turner’s 57th minute header at a corner.
It was the first league goal the Brewers had scored in more than nine hours and the mood among the travelling supporters turned toxic.
Martyn Waghorn rifled home his seventh goal of the season in the 66th minute to turn the tide though and the away fans finally got what they had been calling for when Celina was introduced as the third substitute in the 84th minute.
The Manchester City loanee won the late free-kick himself before bending it around the wall and into the net with less than a minute to go. The confident Kosovan celebrated wildly, throwing his shirt in the crowd and standing with his chest puffed out in front of the joyous Blues fans.
You may also want to watch:
BURTON ALBION (3-5-2): Ripley; Buxton, McFadzean, Turner; Akins, Lund, Murphy, Allen (Palmer 60), Warnock; Sordell (Varney 75), Dyer.
Unused subs: Bywater, Flanagan, Naylor, Akpan, Barker.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
IPSWICH TOWN (4-2-1-3): Bialkowski; Spence, Chambers (cpt), Webster, Knudsen; Skuse, Nydam (Bru 59); McGoldrick (Celina 84); Waghorn, Garner, Sears (Ward 72).
Unused subs: Geren, Iorfa, Connolly, Downes.