MATCH REPORT: Carlisle 0 Colchester United 2
- Credit: Archant
COLCHESTER United ensured League One football for another season, thanks to second-half goals from Gavin Massey and Tom Eastman at Carlisle.
The U’s had looked comfortable all afternoon, and their nerves were finally settled when Massey broke the deadlock with a valuable goal on 65 minutes.
George Porter’s initial shot, following some neat trickery, was blocked by a defender and the follow-up shot from Billy Clifford beat keeper Mark Gillespie, but rattled back off the bar.
However, Carlisle could not clear their lines and Massey’s effort from the left spun into an empty net, with the awaiting Jabo Ibehre watching the ball roll over the goal-line.
And to make it even safer, Eastman then headed home David Wright’s teasing cross on 80 minutes to seal a fantastic last day of the season for Joe Dunne’s men.
You may also want to watch:
There were precious few chances for either side in a very low-key first period.
However, the U’s did have appeals for a penalty turned down on 37 minutes when Clifford’s cross appeared to ricochet wide off the hand of Sean O’Hanlon. But referee Carl Boyeson remained unmoved.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
Jabo Ibehre, Clifford and Massey also peppered the target, while at the other end Sam Walker did well to fingertip Liam Noble’s cross-cum-shot over his bar.
Otherwise, there was nothing else to get excited about before the break.
The second-half followed suit, until Massey popped up with his crucial goal on 65 minutes, and Eastman made certain of the U’s survival with a killer second just 15 minutes later.
CARLISLE UNITED: Gillespie, Livesey, Mustoe, Hanlon, Robson, Thirlwell (sub Manset, 52), Potts, Noble, Berrett, Loy (sub Salmon, 66), Miller,
Unused subs: Simek, Murphy, Beck, Todd, Collin.
COLCHESTER UNITED: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, White, Bean (sub Izzet, 82), David Wright, Clifford (sub O’Toole, 82), Porter (sub Garmston, 70) Ibehre, Massey. Unused subs: Sears, Bond, Smith, Cousins
Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire)