MATCH REPORT: Charlton Athletic 0 Ipswich Town 1
Charlton v Ipswich: Tommy Smith’s early goal proved enough to secure Ipswich Town a 1-0 victory at The Valley.
The Blues came flying out of the traps and, with home keeper Ben Alnwick having already made three fantastic saves, the deadlock was broken in the fifth minute when Smith headed home from an Aaron Cresswell corner.
Charlton slowly worked their way back into the match after that early bombardment and dominated possession in the second half as Ipswich sat further and further back.
Unlike the previous weekend, when Leicester came storming back to win 2-1 at Portman Road having trailed 2-1 at the break, the opposition were unable to punish them.
The hosts undoubtedly lacked ideas going forwards, but Ipswich must also take credit for the way they defended – Smith and Christophe Berra in particular – with this only the third clean sheet of the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Having gone seven matches without an away win, Mick McCarthy’s men have now won successive matches on their travels.
They are now four points adrift of the play-off places heading into Tuesday night’s home game against Blackburn.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 10 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
– Reaction to follow.
CHARLTON ATHLETIC (4-4-2): Alnwick; Wilson (Sordell 86), Wiggins, Morrison, Dervite; Stewart, Cousins, Stephens, Jackson (Pigott 68); Kermorgant, Church (Green 68)
Unused subs: Pope, Wood, Evina, Hughes.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Gerken; Chambers (cpt), Berra, Smith, Cresswell; Anderson (Edwards 73), Skuse, Tunnicliffe, Tabb (Hunt 84); Murphy (Nouble 73), McGoldrick.
Unused subs: Loach, Wordsworth, Mings, Graham.
Booked: Tabb (71)
Attendance: 16,645 (2,654)
Referee: S Duncan