MATCH REPORT: Charlton Athletic 0 Ipswich Town 1
Charlton v Ipswich: Tommy Smith’s early goal proved enough to secure Ipswich Town a 1-0 victory at The Valley.
The Blues came flying out of the traps and, with home keeper Ben Alnwick having already made three fantastic saves, the deadlock was broken in the fifth minute when Smith headed home from an Aaron Cresswell corner.
Charlton slowly worked their way back into the match after that early bombardment and dominated possession in the second half as Ipswich sat further and further back.
Unlike the previous weekend, when Leicester came storming back to win 2-1 at Portman Road having trailed 2-1 at the break, the opposition were unable to punish them.
The hosts undoubtedly lacked ideas going forwards, but Ipswich must also take credit for the way they defended – Smith and Christophe Berra in particular – with this only the third clean sheet of the campaign.
Having gone seven matches without an away win, Mick McCarthy’s men have now won successive matches on their travels.
They are now four points adrift of the play-off places heading into Tuesday night’s home game against Blackburn.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
– Reaction to follow.
CHARLTON ATHLETIC (4-4-2): Alnwick; Wilson (Sordell 86), Wiggins, Morrison, Dervite; Stewart, Cousins, Stephens, Jackson (Pigott 68); Kermorgant, Church (Green 68)
Unused subs: Pope, Wood, Evina, Hughes.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Gerken; Chambers (cpt), Berra, Smith, Cresswell; Anderson (Edwards 73), Skuse, Tunnicliffe, Tabb (Hunt 84); Murphy (Nouble 73), McGoldrick.
Unused subs: Loach, Wordsworth, Mings, Graham.
Booked: Tabb (71)
Attendance: 16,645 (2,654)
Referee: S Duncan