Match report: Sheffield United 1 Ipswich Town 0 – Blues come up short against leading side again
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town once again come up just short against one of the Championship’s leading lights with a 1-0 defeat at Sheffield United.
Chris Basham’s 48th minute header proved the difference at Bramall Lane as Mick McCarthy’s men suffered a fifth league defeat in seven.
The Blades – who are now joint top of the table – dominated possession in the first half, but some good Blues defending meant keeper Bartosz Bialkowski didn’t have a save of note to make.
The Blues switched off to concede after the restart though and then huffed and puffed thereafter.
David McGoldrick fired inches wide and Martyn Waghorn forced a smart save out of home keeper Jamal Blackman during a brief first half purple patch for Town.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides then struck the bar after the break – Waghorn for Town and Leon Clarke for the hosts – but other than that it was a scrappy second period.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy spent the game searching for an effective formation, starting with wing-backs, switching to 4-1-4-1 midway through the first half and then changing to 4-3-3 during the second half.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
Town have now lost five of their last seven league games, with all six of their victories having come against bottom half sides.
They drop to 10th in the table ahead of next Sunday’s East Anglian derby with Norwich City at Portman Road.
SHEFF UTD (3-5-2): Blackman; Basham, Carter-Vickers, O’Connell; Freeman (Wright 40); Lundstram, Fleck, Duffy (Lafferty 86); Stevens; Clarke, Sharp (Brooks 68).
Unused subs: Moore, Donaldson, Hanson, Carruthers.
IPSWICH TOWN (3-5-2): Bialkowski; Webster, Chambers, Knudsen; Iorfa; Ward, Skuse, Nydam (Sears 73); Kenlock (Downes 58); McGoldrick (Celina 73), Waghorn.
Unused subs: Gerken, Smith, Spence, Connolly.
Attendance: 25,799 (1,452 away)
Referee: Tony Harrington