MATCH REPORT: Shelbourne 0 Ipswich Town 4
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town started their 2014/15 pre-season campaign with a 4-0 victory over Dublin-based side Shelbourne, at Tolka Park.
The Blues – who spent the week leading up to the match training at Carton House, just west of Dublin – never had to get out of second gear against their inexperienced hosts.
Shelbourne’s first team had played the previous night and, as a result, the Irish second tier outfit fielded a team almost entirely made up of youth team players.
Paul Anderson opened the scoring for the visitors in the 12th minute, finding the bottom corner from the edge of the box, with striker Darren McQueen – handed a one year professional deal following his impressive trial and release by Tottenham – doubling the lead with a close-range finish on the half an hour mark.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy changed his entire team at half-time, Tyrone Mings powering home a header from Cameron Stewart’s cross (71) before Jack Marriott latched on to Jay Tabb’s fine through ball and produced a fine finish that went in off the underside of the bar (76).
You may also want to watch:
Mick McCarthy kept a mix of youth and experience in each half. Youngsters Ben Wyatt (left-back, who played at right-back) and McQueen both started the match – having been handed one-year professional deals this summer following their release from Norwich and Tottenham respectively – as did new signings Jonathan Parr and Alex Henshall.
In the second half, youngsters Michael Crowe, Matt Clarke, Byron Lawrence, Marriott and Teddy Bishop were handed their opportunities to impress, as was new winger Cameron Stewart.
- 1 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 2 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 3 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 4 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 5 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 8 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 9 One person taken to hospital after A12 crash
- 10 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
Irish duo Stephen Hunt and Daryl Murphy both sat out the action as a precaution, due to slight calf niggles and could be involved in Wednesday night’s home match against Premier League side West Ham (7.45pm).
Meanwhile, David McGoldrick and Freddie Veseli didn’t make the trip. McGoldrick continues his rehab on the knee injury which kept him out at the back of last season, having recently spent a week working with assistant head physio Alex Chapman in Philadelphia, while Veseli – who ended last season on loan at League Two club Bury – appears to simply be out of favour.
– See Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star for more on Ipswich Town’s week in Ireland.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2)
First half: Gerken; Parr, Chambers (cpt), Smith, Wyatt; Anderson, Hyam, Wordsworth, Henshall; McQueen, Taylor.
Second half: Crowe; Hewitt, Berra (cpt), Clarke, Mings; Lawrence (Bishop 77), Skuse, Tabb, Stewart; Nouble, Marriott.