Matt Clarke may be sent on loan elsewhere
- Credit: Bluepitch Media / Joe Pepler
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy says he could look to send defender Matt Clarke on loan somewhere else when his spell with Portsmouth comes to an end on January 3.
The 19-year-old joined the League Two side in August and has made 15 starts and one sub appearance. But, prior to the 1-0 home win over Accrington in the FA Cup last Saturday, he hadn’t started a match since October 10.
Town have now been drawn at home against Portsmouth in the third round of the FA Cup, that match to be played on Saturday, January 9.
Asked if he was happy with the draw, McCarthy said: “I was, except Clarkey can’t play in it. He played in the last FA Cup game against Accrington.
“He played in that game because he hasn’t been playing. But that’s something I’ll review anyway. He needs to play, Clarkey, so that might be something we have to think about with Portsmouth.
You may also want to watch:
“But they’re a good footballing team and we’ve had them watched a fair bit because we’ve had Clarkey watched, certainly early on. It’ll be an interesting game, it’ll be good.”
McCarthy says if the Barham-born centre-half isn’t going to play regularly while at Fratton Park he’ll look to send him elsewhere.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
“If he’s not playing, I won’t (extend his loan),” he added. “I’m not picking (Portsmouth manager) Paul Cook’s team, far from it, and I’ve had this discussion with Paul, otherwise I wouldn’t even dream of talking to you about it.
“He’s got two other lads who have got in the team and are playing well, but Clarkey needs to play. He can be a sub with me, he had that last year. So, if he’s not playing then we’ll change that and get him somewhere else if we can.”