Ipswich closing in on deal for Everton’s Pennington before loan deadline
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town are close to a deal to sign central defender Matthew Pennington on loan from Everton.
The Blues have until 5pm this evening to complete loan deals prior to the window closing, with a defender an area of need.
It is understood Pennington could arrive before that deadline, with a deal until January currently being worked on.
The 23-year-old spent last season on loan in the Championship with Leeds United, while he has also had temporary spells with Tranmere, Walsall and Coventry.
He has made seven Premier League appearances for the Toffees.
You may also want to watch:
Leeds, Blackburn and Wigan are said to have shown an interest in Pennington this summer, with the defender signing a new three-year contract with Everton as recently as May.
He could go straight into the Ipswich squad for Sunday’s clash with Norwich City, covering for the suspended Toto Nsiala.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Pennington would become the sixth loanee in manager Paul Hurst’s squad, with only five able to be included in a matchday squad. There is provision for Janoi Donacien’s loan from Accrington Stanley to be made permanent outside the transfer window for £750,000, once work permit issues have been resolved.
Ipswich boss Paul Hurst has been trailing Curtis Tilt of Blackpool throughout the summer but, with the deal stalling once again earlier this week, they have not returned to try and force it through today. Tilt is out of contract at the end of this season but Blackpool hold an option to extend that deal for a further year.
Former Blues captain Gareth McAuley, another player being looked at by Hurst, is seriously interesting Hearts and Rangers in Scotland.
Danny Batth was linked by the Daily Mail on Thursday night, but he is expected to move elsewhere.