Matthew Price nets brace as Heybridge Swifts beat Witham
- Credit: Archant
Heybridge Swifts 2 Witham Town 1
Heybridge Swifts recovered from the blow of conceding a goal inside the first minute to record a 2-1 victory over neighbours Witham Town in a local derby at Scraley Road tonight.
Just 48 hours after suffering the heartbreak of a 3-2 defeat at Potters Bar Town, when they leaked an injury-time goal having been down to 10 men for more than half the match, the Swifts were soon trailing to a first minute opener from Witham’s John Watson.
But Matthew Price netted a 36th minute equaliser, and the Swifts striker, who had scored a brace at Potters Bar, repeated the feat with his second of the game to put the hosts 2-1 up on 52 minutes. That proved to be the winner.
Tonight’s Bostik North clash was watched by a crowd of 239.
You may also want to watch:
The three points have lifted the Swifts into the top 10. They are now 10th, nine points behind sixth-placed Maldon & Tiptree (last play-off berth) but with five games in hand. Witham stay in 14th.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 4 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 5 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 6 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 7 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 10 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism