McCarthy ‘delighted’ to sign midfielder Richard Chaplow on loan from Millwall
Ipswich Town have signed Millwall midfielder Richard Chaplow on loan for an initial month, the two clubs agreeing the deal could be extended until the end of the season – including a potential Play-Off Final.
The 30-year-old has more than 300 appearances under his belt, the vast majority of them having come in the Championship for the likes of Burnley, West Brom, Southampton and, most recently, Millwall.
He has been told by Lions boss Ian Holloway that he will be released at the end of his contract in the summer and has spent the last week training with Town, impressing McCarthy and his new team-mates.
“I’m delighted,” said the Blues boss. “He’s another one that can play a number of positions – either wide or centrally. He’s shown what a capable, comfortable player he is at this level while training with us. He’s just fitted straight in.
“He’s a good one to get. I’m really pleased.”
You may also want to watch:
Asked if either Chaplow or today’s other loan recruit, forward Luke Varney (Blackburn), would be signed permanently in the summer, McCarthy replied: “I don’t promise anybody anything. Once they come under the roof then they’ve got a chance. If they do really well, they shake the place up, get in the team and score goals – that’s the opportunity.
“I haven’t sold it to either Luke (Varney) or Richard (Chaplow) that they have anything longer term lined up. I don’t tell players lies to get them here. They’re on loan and now they have an opportunity. They both just want to play.”
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 6 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
– See tomorrow’s EADT for full Ipswich v Reading match preview and McCarthy’s words for those underwhelmed by his latest additions.