McCarthy misses out to Warburton in Manager of the Month vote
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Brentford boss Mark Warburton was, unsurprisingly, named November’s Championship Manager of the Month this morning.
The newly-promoted Bees won all five matches last month – Derby, Fulham and Wolves at home, Nottingham Forest and Millwall away – to surge up to third in the table.
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy – the recipient of the September award – was among the four nominees after guiding the Blues to an impressive four wins and single draw last month.
The Blues, up to second in the table, started the month with a hard-fought 2-0 win at struggling Blackpool, then recorded back-to-back home wins over two sides above them in the table at the time – Wolves and Watford.
Then came a spirited 2-2 draw at high-flying Bournemouth, the Blues twice coming from behind, before last Saturday’s dramatic 1-0 win at a Charlton side who were previously undefeated at The Valley this season.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Lennon and Gary Rowett were also nominees after they turned around the fortunes of previously struggling Bolton and Birmingham respectively.
Bolton claimed 10 points from a possible 12 – beating Cardiff, Wigan and Huddersfield at home, and drawing at Blackpool, to climb to 18th in the table.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
Birmingham, who were thrashed 8-0 at home by Bournemouth at the end of October, went five games undefeated in November – conceding just twice.
The Midlands side beat Watford, Forest and Rotherham and drew against Wolves and Cardiff.
Championship Player of the Month was Brentford’s Andre Gray. The 23-year-old striker has scored five goals in as many games last month, the most notable his curving run and clinical finish in the 4-0 win over Wolves.
Town striker Daryl Murphy was named PFA Fans’ Player of the Month. The Republic of Ireland international scored four times in November to take his tally for the campaign to 11. Only Forest’s Britt Assombalonga has scored more (12) in the Championship.