McCarthy still looking to add to his squad
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy is keen to boost his thin-on-the-ground squad with further new additions before the transfer window shuts at the end of this month.
The Blues boss signed centre-back Adam Webster early this summer, then brought in versatile wingers Grant Ward and Conor Grant just days before the season started.
Still he has just 16 outfield players with a decent amount of senior experience though, with a host of youngsters then acting as back-up.
And with there no longer being the option to sign players between windows, McCarthy wants to make sure he has the right number of bodies in the building to cope with the gruelling Championship schedule ahead.
He said: “I think everybody is the same – we’re all realising there is no emergency loans. We need to have a good healthy squad available. I am still looking. Will it be loans or permanent? It depends what’s available.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We were one of the teams who used the fewest players last season. That’s probably down to the fact that the back four was written in stone and the keeper only ever changed out of necessity.
“It was a pretty settled team and I prefer it that way. That will still be the same. Once you get in and are playing regularly it’s hard to get out of it unless you play really badly.”
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 4 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 7 'Managers don't get enough credit' - Walton delighted as Town deliver big win for boss Cook at Pompey
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
Town beat Barnlsey 4-2 at Portman Road on the opening day of the new season, then lost 1-0 at home to Stevenage in the EFL Cup on Tuesday night. They travel to Brentford tomorrow.
“We’ve got Dozza (Andre Dozzell), I still think James Blanchfield is going to contribute, Adam McDonnell, Myles (Kenlock) and Josh (Emmanuel) too.
“If we get injuries past the deadline, and have the squad we have now, then they will be the ones picking up the pieces if necessary.”