McGoldrick set for injury comeback tonight, Williams not ready to start
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town striker David McGoldrick is set to make his injury comeback in an Under-23s game at Colchester United tonight.
The 28-year-old has been out of action since rupturing his ankle ligaments in the early EFL Cup game against Stevenage at Portman Road.
“That’s great for him personally, first and foremost, to be back and playing in a competitive game, an 11-a-side game on the full pitch,” said McCarthy.
“We structured it when he was coming back with us so nobody could tackle him, he’s been wearing a different coloured bib so people don’t tackle him.
“He’s been getting his work-rate on the full pitch so that’s kind of protected him, but then he’s gradually got into the smaller-sided games and he’s been tackling and shooting and withstanding all of that, so now it’s the last step before we can say he’s fully fit and ready for the first-team squad.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m not suggesting for one minute that if he plays 60 minutes he’s going to play from the start and complete the game at Newcastle, that would be a bit too much to ask.
“But to be involved would be brilliant because we’ve already seen in the training sessions the quality that we all know he’s got. It just reminds us sometimes, it’s lovely to see.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 6 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Meanwhile, McCarthy says that Crystal Palace loanee Jonny Williams is not ready to start tomorrow night’s Championship home game against Burton. The 23-year-old has been out of action since injuring his ankle in pre-season and returned to action with a five minute cameo at Blackburn on Saturday.
Luke Varney, who suffered a hamstring injury playing for the Under-23s before the international break but returned to first-team action as a sub against Huddersfield, missed out on a place in the 18 at Blackburn on Saturday.
“He’s just struggling a little bit to get back to that full fitness, so he’s not available,” McCarthy confirmed.
Another striker, Brett Pitman, is still a little way off a return from the ankle injury he suffered at Leeds.
“He’s off his crutches, so he won’t be fit for Tuesday or Saturday but he’s now walking, he’s just got the protective boot on. He’s going to be another six weeks,” McCarthy said.
Midfielder Luke Hyam (knee) and centre-half Tommy Smith (back) are still recovering from surgery.