McKendry not at the level of the first team yet, says McCarthy
- Credit: Archant
Teenage winger Conor McKendry is not ready for the first team yet, says Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy.
The 19-year-old Northern Ireland youth international scored four and had a hand in two others as the Blues’ Under-23 side thrashed Coventry 6-0 at Playford Road on Monday afternoon.
The diminutive, direct-running academy graduate opened the scoring with a stunning strike, curled home two free-kicks, then rifled home from 25 yards. He also hit the post.
“I did ask him if someone had kidnapped Conor McKendry and replaced him with somebody who hits the target!” joked McCarthy.
“Tongue-in-cheek, of course, but we are always banging on at him about keeping it under the crossbar, TC (Terry Connor) especially.
You may also want to watch:
“I only saw the first half performance because we were training, but he’s doing alright, he’s doing fine. He’s not at the level of the first team yet though.”
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour