Medy makes England World Cup debut
COLCHESTER United winger Medy Elito made his debut in the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in South Korea.The promising Elito appeared as a 71st-minute substitute for double goalscorer Victor Moses as England cruised to a 5-0 win over New Zealand in their second group match on Tuesday.
By Carl Marston
COLCHESTER United winger Medy Elito made his debut in the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in South Korea.
The promising Elito appeared as a 71st-minute substitute for double goalscorer Victor Moses as England cruised to a 5-0 win over New Zealand in their second group match on Tuesday.
Elito has progressed through the U's youth team and is now pushing for a place in the senior squad. He did not play in the opening game against South Korea, but could be involved during England's final group match against Brazil tomorrow. A draw would be enough for England to qualify for the quarter-finals.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Colchester's veteran keeper, Aidan Davison, played 45 minutes for the U's Reserves in Tuesday afternoon's 0-0 draw against Grays Athletic.
No. 1 choice keeper Dean Gerken will miss this Saturday's Championship's fixture at Preston, due to a one-match suspension after being sent off for a professional foul in Saturday's 2-2 draw against Barnsley.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
Davison, 39, who is the U's goalkeeping coach, has been dogged by a back injury in recent weeks. He will wait to see if his back suffers any reaction over the coming days.
Mark Cousins replaced Gerken as a 27th minute substitute against the Tykes, and he could make his first start in the Championship, depending on the fitness of Davison.
U's boss Geraint Williams watched Davison come through the first half against Grays, before he was replaced at half-time by youngster Jack Smelt.