Meet the Suffolk Saints – representing the county in the UK Street Velodrome Series
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Bury St Edmunds welcomed Suffolk’s new professional cycling duo who are taking part in the national Street Velodrome competition.
The Suffolk Saints John Stockwell and Tanya Griffiths visited Charter Square yesterday after competing on Sunday in the first stage at the Eden Project, in Cornwall. The penultimate stage of the national competition comes to Bury in July.
“It’s an amazing experience,” said Tanya Griffiths, 30, from Ipswich. “The track does look daunting, but it’s great for everyone, from young children who just want to give it a try, to adults wanting to improve their bike handling skills, or those who enjoy extreme sports.”
Although the competition runs on July 17, the previous day will see a public-access session in Bury from 9am.
StreetVelodrome is an Olympic-style pursuit-race competition, seeing amateur and professional riders competing.
You may also want to watch:
John is a former indoor Olympic stadium velodrome coach and Tanya, a road and indoor velodrome champion.
Although the competition visited Lowestoft before, this is the first time the county has been represented in the pro-team contest.
- 1 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 10 Fiat 500 on its side after crash in Woodbridge
The Suffolk Saints came fourth out of six professional teams taking part in the time trial rounds of the competition In Cornwall, with seven more locations around the UK to go.
StreetVelodrome has been brought to Bury St Edmunds through a collaboration between Suffolk County Council and Abbeycroft Leisure, in association with St Edmundsbury Borough Council and Bury Town Council.
John, 49, from Sible Hedingham, said: “Having spent the last six years coaching cycling in Suffolk, I am proud to represent the county and looking forward to hearing the crowd cheer when we come to Bury St Edmunds.”