FA Cup wins for Melford and Hadleigh, while Whitton and Fram to replay
There were two good wins in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round for Long Melford and Hadleigh United, while Whitton United and Framlingham Town will replay after they played out a draw.
Melford won 3-1 at Redbridge FC, a good battling performance by against a strong and resolute home team, and a deserved result for the Villagers.
The visitors opened with some neat and attractive football and it was not a surprise when after seven minutes they took the lead. A David Lopez corner found Ross Waugh and his header hit the bar, but the rebound was tucked in by Hassan Ally.
The second goal arrived for Melford after 41 minutes, some good work by Lopez saw his pass find Nathan Rowe who then found Ally in a wide position, and his cross to the far post was headed home by Melford skipper Steve Adams.
Just three minutes after the break the Villagers killed the game off, Lopez scoring from the spot after Ally was fouled in the area. Redbridge got a goal back on 51 minutes, but could not get any closer.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Hadleigh hosted Great Yarmouth in a game which was meant to be played at Yarmouth but had to be switched because of issues with their pitch.
And the Brettsiders won 3-1 to make progress. They took the lead against the run of play on 36 minutes when a long range shot from Turner beat the diving Barnes.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 9 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
Yarmouth levelled on 50 minutes when Davis fired in a long range low shot. But Hadleigh retook the lead on 62 minutes when Cassell got clear to round his marker and advancing ‘keeper to slot home.
Thrower sealed the win ten minutes later, with a low shot.
Finally, at Framlingham, all the goals came in the last 15 minutes as the Castlemen and Whitton shared a 1-1 draw.
Fram took the lead on 75 minutes, when Danny Smith found Willett, whose shot was deflected by Mallardo to wrong-foot Higgins and end up in the net.
Whitton levelled five minutes later as a poor clearance from Fram saw Ingram stretch to head over Chilvers.
The sides will replay tomorrow night, with the winners facing Basildon United next.