Michael Cheek earns a precious win for Braintree Town
- Credit: Archant
Boreham Wood 0 Braintree Town 1
Michael Cheek squeezed home his ninth goal of the season to earn Braintree Town a deserved victory at 10-man Boreham Wood tonight.
Goal poacher Cheek bundled the ball over the line from inside a jam-packed six-yard box, in the 62nd minute, to propel The Iron out of the National League relegation zone.
It was his sixth goal in Iron’s last five matches, and it was a precious one.
The Wood were reduced to 10 men in the 57th minute, when centre-half David Stephens was given his marching orders for two bookable offences, the second on man-of-the-match Reece Hall-Johnson.
You may also want to watch:
Haken Hayrettin’s side struck with the winner, just five minutes later, although in truth they had looked the better team even before Stephens’ rash challenge.
As a result, The Iron are out of the bottom four, leapfrogging Southport on goal difference following last night’s three pointer – the original match, three weeks ago, had been postponed because of a frozen pitch.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 7 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 10 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook