Michael Comber scores 137 as Essex 2nd XI defeat Suffolk
A STAND of 217 for the third wicket paved the way for Essex 2nd XI to inflict a 117-run defeat on Suffolk at Billericay yesterday.
Michael Comber, the Clacton all-rounder who has played for Suffolk in the past, scored 137 and figured in a match-winning partnership with opener Nick Browne, who made 93.
After Matt Hunn and Justin Bishop had taken a wicket apiece to leave Essex 34 for two in the eighth over, Comber and Browne took centre stage.
Comber hit seven sixes and ten fours in 124 balls faced and Browne’s innings occupied 118 deliveries and contained eight fours before they were separated in the 43rd over. Rain interruptions meant the innings was shortened from the original 50 overs to 45 as Essex closed on 276 for six. Skipper Bishop was the most successful Suffolk bowler with three for 38.
Suffolk lost openers Tom Huggins and Ben France with only six runs on the board and with youngsters Sasha Ward and debutant Ashwin Raj also falling cheaply, were reduced to 36 for four.
You may also want to watch:
However, Martyn Cull and Chris Warn steadied the innings, adding 47 in less than 13 overs.
Further rain saw Suffolk’s innings cut to 43 overs and the revised target rise to 286, but they closed on 169 for five thanks to Cull, whose 81 from 117 balls contained ten fours and a six and Chris Swallow, whose 47 came from 73 balls with five fours and a six. Comber took two for 22.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market