Mick McCarthy hopes Andre Dozzell can inject some excitement as Ipswich Town face Fulham
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy hopes supporters are excited about the prospect of seeing 16-year-old Andre Dozzell make his full debut at Portman Road this evening in a Championship match against Fulham.
The former Copleston High School pupil made headlines with his historic debut goal in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday. It was a rare feat made even more remarkable by the fact his dad Jason had done exactly the same thing for the club back in 1984.
Accepting that a play-off place is now out of reach following just one win in eight games, McCarthy said: “Dozzer is starting – and that’s not some sort of advertisement for the club, it’s because he deserves his chance.
“I would hope it has got everyone excited again. He is an exciting player who is easy on the eye. We know we’ve got a good player on our hands.
“There’s not much I couldn’t tell him about, but he does things with the ball I’d never be able to tell him to do.
“He’s got nice balance, a nice range of passing, he’s a quality midfield player – but he is 16 so let’s just temper the enthusiasm for what he’s going to achieve on Tuesday night. Not every day is going to go like it did for him on Saturday.
“Being brutally honest, I don’t think we’d have been waxing lyrical about him had he not scored, but that’s the difference. If he can bring that little bit of quality to us that would be great.
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 3 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 4 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 5 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 6 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 7 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 8 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 9 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 10 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
“Let’s just see how he does in these last few games and then let him have a holiday. The euphoria and the media interest will then die down a bit.”