Mick McCarthy: I don’t doubt myself, I leave that to others
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy says he has never doubted himself.
An increasing number of supporters are calling for the Blues boss to leave his position following Tuesday night’s humiliating FA Cup defeat at non-league side Lincoln City.
The Championship’s longest-serving boss (four years and 79 days) is contracted at Portman Road until 2018, but has admitted he will consider his future at the end of this season.
Asked if he had ever doubted his ability to turn things around, he said: “Do you know what, if Howard Kendall had packed it in (at Everton) after that Cup tie against Oxford, or if Sir Alex (Ferguson) had packed it in (at Manchester United) when it got tough...
“I’m not putting myself up there with them, but you can’t just walk when everybody wants you out the door.
“That was my 900th game as a manager (at Lincoln) and I’ve had pretty good success me. I never doubt myself, no. I’ll leave that to other people.
You may also want to watch:
“To turn peoples’ opinions around will be difficult, but I’m not going to stop trying.”
He added: “I’ve just said to the players that our last three performances in the league have been good. That’s what we should focus on. There’s nothing we can do about the FA Cup now – it’s done, it’s gone.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 5 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 7 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
“If I speak to (Leeds legend) Norman Hunter he’d still remember losing to Colchester in the FA Cup. Those Leeds players have had that with them for the rest of their lives, just as this result will stay with me.
“That’s just part of my history now, but I’ve had a pretty good history. I’ve had some good results and some s****y ones. That’s just one of the s****y ones.”