Mick McCarthy is a bit like Arsene Wenger, says Neil Warnock
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy has been compared to Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger by Neil Warnock.
McCarthy enjoyed a superb start to life as Blues boss, saving the club from relegation and then masterminding a play-off finish, but 18 months of stagnation has led to some fans calling for his head.
Warnock, whose Cardiff side host Town today, said: “We’ve had ups and downs in our careers, we’ve been at clubs and said ‘be careful what you wish for’.
“He’s a bit like Wenger, fans having a go at regular times, but he’s like me and doesn’t worry about the sack. If he left tomorrow he’d get a job the next week. So would I.”
Warnock, who is now at his 16th club as manager, said: “There’s been 14 managers sacked in the Championship this season now – how can you talk about building a project? We want to do well next season, but you don’t know in this game.
As you get older you don’t feel the pressure as much.”
- 1 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 2 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 3 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 10 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms