Mick McCarthy issues passionate plea for backing at Ipswich Town Supporters’ Club AGM
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy issued a passionate plea for backing following a barrage of critical questions at tonight’s Supporters’ Club AGM.
The Blues boss, along with several other members of staff, was part of a question and answer session attended by close to 100 fans.
With his team having won just one of their last nine matches the mood was a lot more sour than in recent years, with McCarthy quizzed about ‘unhappy strikers’, his keeper selection, whether his dislike of pre-season had affected the team and the style of play.
Having handled the questions with patience and good humour, he finally said: “I’ve been stood here before when everything has been going swimmingly but now, for the first time, things are going the other way.
“What defines support? For me it’s when you’re having a bit of a wobble, that’s when I need your support.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve always been about sticking with people through thick and thin when you believe they are the right solution in the long run.
“Maybe that’s the way you should feel about me stood here now too.”
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 6 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
He added: “Three years ago I arrived when this club was rock-bottom and morale was not good on or off the pitch. I don’t think our standing as a club was what it used to be and people weren’t looking at us with the same respect.
“What shouldn’t be forgotten is what we do have now is a squad of players who care about the club, the fans and the area. That relationship between players and club is much stronger. They have a real feeling for the club.”
Managing director Ian Milne, next to face questions, said: “Having just heard that, let me just say ‘I’m going to stick with Mick’. He’s dragged this club up by the bootlaces.”
– Miss our live coverage of tonight’s Supporters’ Club AGM? Catch up on what was said here: http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/live_coverage_of_the_ipswich_town_supporters_club_agm_as_fans_quiz_manager_mick_mccarthy_1_4289844