Mick McCarthy misses out to Aitor Karanka for the Championship manager of the month award for December
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy has missed out on the Championship manager of the month award to Middlesbrough’s Aitor Karanka.
The Teeside club picked up 13 points from their five games in December, including a 2-0 victory at Portman Road on December 4, meaning he beat off competition from McCarthy, Leeds boss Steve Evans and new Brentford manager Dean Smith to win the award.
Karanka said: “It’s a lovely honour to have but I think this a reflection of how well our team is playing at the moment.
“The best example is that Adam Clayton has been named as Player of the Month as well, and he’s part of a team that has worked very hard to reach our current position in the table.
“It’s an award for everyone here at Middlesbrough, including all the players and coaching staff, and we are very pleased to receive it.”
Former Ipswich manager George Burley chairs the Sky Bet Manager of the Month judging panel and was impressed with the performance of Karanka’s team.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It was a fantastic month for Middlesbrough, remaining unbeaten in five games – all against promotion rivals.
“Their away wins at Ipswich and previously unbeaten Brighton, shows they are firm favourites to win the Sky Bet Championship this season.”
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
Adam Clayton was named the Championship player of the month, ahead of Tom Ince of Derby, Sheffield Wednesday’s Fernando Forestieri and Matt Mills of Nottingham Forest.